International Poetry Writing Competition
Conditions of Entry
- All entries must be received by 5:00pm on Friday 26 July 2013. No
late entries will be accepted.
- Each entry must be the entrant's/author's original work,
in the English language, not previously published or having won a prize in any literary competition at the time of entry. For the purpose of this competition the following definition of "published" will apply: intentionally distributed to the public in any format "accepted for publication or broadcast in any format including self-publishing for monetary gain".
- There is no word limit.
- Poems may be on any subject and may be entered in more than one category.
- In the Open Bush Poetry Category the following definition
Bush Poetry with good rhyme and meter which is written about Australia, its
people, places, things and way of life.
- No name or other identifying material should appear on the poem. Poems will be judged anonymously.
- In the Open Local Poets Category the following condition of entry applies: Entrants must live, work or attend school within the boundaries of Ipswich City Council.
- Only permanent residents of Queensland with email access, entering Open Age categories, are eligible to apply for the mentorship prize. See the mentorship prize page for further details.
- $5 fee per entry payable to Ipswich City Council for Open Age categories. Free entry in all categories under 18 years of age.
- Open age international entrants must submit entries via the online entry form, using PayPal facility for the entry fee. International cheques will not be accepted.
For Printed Entries:
- One entry form per poem attached with paper clip (not stapled).
- Entries to be typed or computer printed with double line spacing on one side
of A4 white paper. All pages must be numbered and fastened by paper clip
(not stapled). No entries may be submitted by facsimile or computer
- Entrant to supply two copies of poem when submitting entry.
- Submissions will not be returned. It is the responsibility
of the writer to keep a copy.
For Open Age Online Entries:
- Payments to be made via PayPal at the time of submission of entry.
Judging and Notification:
- Judges' decisions are final.
- Judges reserve the right to transfer poems between categories in the Open Bush and Open Other section where deemed appropriate.
- Winners will be contacted prior to the Awards Presentation event proposed for 18 October 2013. Winners
will be announced, first prize winning poems (or an excerpt of these poems)
will be professionally read, and prizes presented (where possible), at this
event. Prizes will be mailed if winner cannot
attend in person.
- The committee reserves the right to publish or broadcast, without fee to
the author, in part or in whole, award winning or commended entries and photographs on the
web site, in an anthology and/or in media publications or broadcasts. Copyright remains
with the author thereafter. No payment or reward will be made to the
entrant for any such publication.
- The committee also reserves the right to give entrants' contact details
to the media, if among the winners.
- Results will be published following the Awards Presentation, and will be posted shortly thereafter on the Ipswich Poetry Feast web site at http://www.ipswichpoetryfeast.com.au.